Tips on ensuring a smooth deposit return19 May 2016
It’s that time of year again when many tenants are vacating the property that they have been renting. Which makes the subject of deposits jump to the front of most tenants mind!
We (genuinely!) want to be asking the deposit company holding your deposit to refund the full deposit back to you as quickly as we can, which will allow us to move a new tenant in. We do need the property to be returned to us in the same condition as it was handed to you, so we thought it might be helpful to remind you what you should be checking before you hand the property back.
Clean, Clean, Clean
You should check that the cleaning is up to standard, check:
- All flooring. If you have been in the property for more than 12 months or have a pet, we would suggest carpets are shampooed
- All skirting’s, handles, light switches, doors and woodwork
- All kitchen appliances, including washing machine drawer and seal
- Fridge and oven trays
- Inside drawers & cabinets
- Bathroom suite, shower screens, shower heads, tiles and grout
- Empty vacuum cleaners
- All bedding laundered (if applicable)
- All crockery, cutlery & utensil’s are clean and stored neatly
- Window blinds
- Under sofa cushions and furniture
- Mattress stains spot cleaned
- External and internal windows
We have a detailed cleaning check list available to download on our website.
Gardens / Balconies and Bins
Please check that any outside area is returned in a neat and tidy condition, this includes the bins.
You should also check:
- All light bulbs are replaced
- Ensure all smoke alarm/carbon monoxide detector batteries are replaced
- Ensure all broken/lost items are replaced with suitable substitutes