Landlord FAQs

Whether you are a first time landlord or an experienced buy to let investor we know you will have many questions before you choose which agent to appoint. Please see our list of frequently asked questions to help you make your decision.

Do I have to register with the council as a landlord?

Yes- by law all landlords in Scotland must be registered with the council. It costs £55 per owner and £11 per property and must be renewed every 3 years. You can do this online ( and you will need our registration number (see our list of council registration numbers)

My insurance needs renewed, do I really need landlord insurance?

Yes , specific landlord insurance protects your needs as a landlord. We recommend an independent broker Bruce Stevenson. Visit our insurance section to find out more.

I am moving overseas, what should I do regarding my tax affairs?

If you are going to be overseas for 6 months or more of the tax year you must either gain approval from the Inland Revenue by completing an NRL1 form or by law we, as your agent, must withold 20% of your net rental income and pass it (on a quarterly basis) to the Inland Revenue.

To complete your NRL1 form you will need our tax ref number which is NA 3143 (Glasgow) and NA 039116 1101 (Edinburgh)

What is an EPC?

An  EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is required by law for all rented properties. A surveyor will visit the property and carry out the inspection which will provide a rating and suggestions on how to improve the rating.This is generally arranged by us before the property is marketed.

Do you do periodical inspections at my property?

Yes, we inspect all properties at regular intervals throughout a tenancy. Within the first 6 months of any tenancy we inspect after 6 weeks and again at month 5 then quarterly thereafter. We feedback our findings to the landlord on their monthly statement. We hold photos on our database within the office , if you would like copies sent please let us know. Have a look at our short video.

Will you arrange rent increases on my behalf?

Yes, as standard we implement a 3.5% rent increase after the first 6 months of the tenancy and then at 12 months intervals thereafter. If you would like to discuss rent increases outwith these periods please get in touch.

I would like my property back, what should I do?

To get back possession of your property you must serve the tenants with the relevant notices. These differ depending on your lease but generally they must be served a minimum of 2 months before the end date of the lease.

Do you offer tenants emergency contact numbers for peace of mind?

Yes, all tenant are given details of our emergency tradesman and advised when they should be used. Our tradesman will take the call and decide if the call is a genuine emergency that cannot wait until the office opens.

Who is responsible for utility bills while my property is let?

The tenant becomes responsible for utility bills and council tax while the property is let. We advise the utility companies and the council tax office of the incoming and outgoing occupier and liase with them throughout your property’s management.

What level of furnishings is expected in a furnished property?

A furnished property should be fully equipped with furniture (obviously!), pots and pans, crockery etc. Bed linen is at the owners discretion however we feel properties are shown to their best advantage when beds are left made up. TVs are optional.

Why do I need an inventory?

A professionally prepared, comprehensive inventory is absolutely essential to ensure your property is protected from any damage that may be caused throughout a tenancy. The tenants deposit is assumed to be the tenants so to make any claim against that deposit you must have adequate proof of the condition of the property on tenant move in. Our inventory clerks are fully trained and competent to protect your interests

When will I receive the rent?

We have a couple of different payment runs in the month.

In Edinburgh the payment runs hit our landlord account on the 10th, 20th and 30th of the month.

In Glasgow the payment runs leave our account on the 15th and 30th of the month.

If you have any accounts queries please contact our accounts team or

What type of smoke alarm is required in a let property?

If you have a property which is on one level a fitted battery operated smoke alarm is acceptable while that unit is operational, however if that unit breaks it must be replaced with a mains operated smoke alarm. If your property is on more than 1 level a mains operated interlinked smoke alarm must be fitted on each floor.

Happy Customers