Tenant Support

As a tenant you are entering into a legally binding contract which can tie up a large proportion of your hard earned money, see below for some FAQs regarding your lease and responsibilities.

What type of lease am I signing?

99% of our tenancies are signed on a SAT (Short Assured Tenancy) This must run for 6 months or more and is a joint and severally liable lease

What is the Tenant Information Pack?

The tenant information pack is given to tenants before they sign their lease. It provides important information to tenants who rent their homes privately and since May 2013, landlords in Scotland have had a legal duty to provide new tenants with this pack. It offers information to the tenant about their lease, their rights as a tenant and what they should expect from their landlord (or agent) We will email you a copy before your scheduled lease signing. You can download a copy from our resources section.

What is the notice period required to end my tenancy?

The notice period required is entirely dependent on the lease that you signed. 99% of the tenancies we sign on the landlords behalf are Short Assured Tenancies, that means you as the tenant have absolute security for the term of the lease. If you want to bring your tenancy to an end, you should check the lease term. If you are unsure about the notice period or would like clarification, contact Shelagh Speirs (Glasgow) or Maria Lahmamsi (Edinburgh)

Are bills included?

No – tenants are responsible for utility bills and council tax ( full time students must apply for full exemption)

What does joint and severally liable mean?

Every tenant is responsible for any amount due to the landlord (e.g. rent, or money for damage to the property)

This means that, regardless of who ‘actually’ owes money to the landlord, the landlord is legally allowed to pursue any tenant for any money owed. An example: if one tenant doesn’t pay the rent, then if joint and several liability applies, all the other roommates are liable to the landlord for payment of that person’s share (or they can all be evicted for non-payment of rent). In this situation, it’s up to the other tenants, not the landlord, to collect from the non-paying tenant (say by suing them for damages).

The existence of joint and several liability means that, the more people you sign into a joint tenancy with, the more likely you are to be liable for more rent than you ‘should’ owe. Any guarantor for someone tied into a joint and several liability contract will also be potentially liable for the full sum owed for any rent payments or damages.

Can I pay my rent late?

No- rent must be paid via standing order on the (generally)  1st of every month. Late payment of rent and subsequent rental visits will incur charges.

Can leaseholder names be changed?

Yes – all applicants must undergo our credit check procedure. The outgoing tenant must provide written authorisation of new incoming tenants. (Fee applies)

I signed a rolling lease, what notice do I have to give?

After the initial period the lease will roll on every 2 months until your 28 days written notice is given for the 2 month block that you are currently in. Unfortunately, it is not possible to give 28 days at any time. For example, if you lease ends on the 30th November you must give 28 days written notice prior to that date or it will roll on until the 30th January and again if you don’t give 28 days notice for 30th January, it will roll on until 30th March and so on.

Can I see a copy of a draft lease?

Yes – please contact one of our team and they will forward you a copy.

Happy Customers